Huskies: Marching to Victory

By — Taylor Byrne
Photo Credit — Tuscarora Band

On the 28th of September our award winning Marching Huskies participated in the NOVA regional run by VMBC, Virginia Marching Band Cooperative, a competition at Herndon Highschool against several other schools across Virginia. Through their hard work, dedication, and talent, they were able to add five more awards for their program.  

The Tuscarora High School marching band competed in the first group at 10:30am, for judges, Todd Fox, Elisa Lessard, Steve Calhoun, Samuel Ambrose, Paula Hales, Time Gauldin, Tim Bray, and Stan Schoonover.  They performed musical pieces from Pictures, an Exhibition by Mussorgsky, including Old Castle and Promenade, Hut on Fowl’s Legs, Cattle, and Great Gate of Kiev.  Their riveting performances, from both the band and the color guard of these pieces enabled them to win these five awards within their group.  

These awards included first in their division 1A, 1st place, best colorguard, best percussion, best music, and best general effect.  All of these are hard to achieve by themselves, but to win all five is an achievement that everyone one of them should be proud of.

When seniors from the marching band were asked how they felt when they won, all had a surplus of reaction to their success.  Christopher, a senior who plays the mellophone, exclaimed, “I am fulfilled to know all the work that has been done is being paid off even though there is always room for improvement!”Another senior, Keineda, who is part of the colorguard stated that, “It’s nice knowing our hard work to prepare for these shows pay off but there’s still a long season ahead and I can’t wait to continue to improve with my friends.”  This mind set of pride, however, always knowing that they can get better, is why when the Marching Huskies win, they win big.  

For many members of the marching band, this is their last season performing with the Marching Huskies.  Moments like this make it a moment they will never forget. When asked how they feel knowing that they left their mark on the school here is what some said.  A sousaphone player, Renee declared that, “When I graduate, I will look back, feeling good that I was able to help the band reach first place.” Another senior, Gabrielle, a clarinet player proclaimed that, “My time with the band will always be precious to me and I am proud of how much the program has grown over the years. It is bittersweet thinking about leaving this program after four years of hard work and dedication but I am able to rest assured knowing that myself and the other seniors have framed the band for success after we graduate.”  Every member of the marching band should feel proud of all they accomplished, and will accomplish in the future. Congratulations Marching Huskies! And a special thank you all the seniors that agreed to be interviewed, and helped secure these victories for the band.

View Comments (1)