Tuscarora’s Fine Arts Says Aloha to Hawaii

A total of 59 students from Tuscarora’s choir and marching band left for Hawaii this past weekend. This trip has been talked about for some time, but why exactly are they going to Hawaii? Both the choir and marching band played in the Pearl Harbor Memorial Parade, established December 1941, which started at Fort DeRussey in Waikiki on Dec. 7. The purpose of this parade was to commemorate the 80th anniversary of World War II.

Forty-eight students from the marching band went on the trip and were prepared to perform in the parade, and they were hopefully able to relax as well. They played “God Bless America” and a patriotic band sequence consisting of “America the Beautiful”, “My Country Tis of Thee”, and “Battle Hymn of the Republic” with other music between the patriotic pieces. Caitlyn Guymon, who plays in the pit for the marching band (vibraphone, auxiliary, marimba, etc.), said, “I think the band is ready because we’ve been putting a lot of effort into the songs we’re playing.” Tuscarora’s marching band recently played in the VNBC finals and placed 13th out of about 60 schools. Last year, despite being the smallest marching band in the state with 15 people, they won a variety of captions including best visual, best music, and best general effect.

The Tuscarora choir had 11 people on the trip, and they performed “America the Beautiful”. These choir students come from both the Advanced Treble and Small Vocal Ensembles, both of which are advanced groups. 

While both groups were performing on the trip, they also took some time off to enjoy being in Hawaii. On Monday, Dec. 4, the group departed for the Polynesian Cultural Center. Before leaving for the trip, Guymon said, “I am most excited to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center because I’ve been there before so it will be fun to go back…” Even though it will not be a second time for everyone, Guymon assures that, “…it is lots of fun there.” 

The group went on many other excursions, including an Island Tour of Oahu, lunch in Hale’iwa, and the Pageant of Long Canoes. This was a unique opportunity for Tuscarora’s band and choir to improve their skills and enrich their musical and cultural education.