National Honor Society Inducts 118 New Members

NHS inductees sit in the auditorium during the induction ceremony on Monday, November 18th.

By Meilan Solly

The Tuscarora chapter of the National Honor Society inducted 118 new members in a ceremony held in the auditorium during FLEX 1 on Monday, Nov. 18.

The ceremony began with a welcome by Principal Mrs. Pamela Paul-Jacobs and introductions by co-sponsors Mrs. Yacoub and Ms. Blessing.

Next, NHS officers Neeraj Dalvi (Vice President of Membership), Julia Cline (Treasurer), Chiara Solitario (President), and Forest Langhorne (Vice President of Service) gave short speeches on character, scholarship, leadership, and service, respectively.

Finally, the NHS inductees were invited to line up onstage and recite a pledge of membership as they lit electronic candles.

The NHS inductees, consisting of 105 juniors and 13 seniors, join 118 seniors who are currently members.

In order to be part of the prestigious society, which recognizes high school students for excellence in education and civic involvement, applicants had to undergo a rigorous application process. It included obtaining teacher recommendation forms and presenting proof of involvement in extracurricular activities.

This year, 118 students out of 190 applicants were accepted to NHS. Ms. Kathryn Blessing, co-sponsor of NHS, explained that there is no set number of students that NHS accepts each year, as acceptance is based on whether students fill out their applications correctly and meet the criteria the faculty committee is looking for.

Senior Garrett Henkle applied to NHS because it “looks really good for college and [it’s] nice to help in the community.”  He added that he hopes to “find more areas around the community to actually help and volunteer with.”

Junior Collin Chin and senior Akshaay Arora had similar reasons for applying to NHS, as Arora said, “I hope to interact with different people from volunteering activities,” and Chin said, “I hope to increase my involvement and community service within the school.”

Current NHS member Dani Townsend, senior, said her involvement in the honor society has helped her “dedicate time to helping others in the community.” She advises new inductees to “enjoy [their time in NHS] because it’s fun and you’re getting involved.”

Senior Neeraj Dalvi, Vice President of Membership, said his time in NHS has “definitely made me into a better leader…I’m a more collaborative and cooperative person.” Dalvi also offered this advice for new NHS members: “Take pride in what you’re doing. You were selected because you are special. This is not something everyone is going to have a chance to do.”

Senior Chiara Solitario, president of NHS, said the honor society’s long-term goal was to “improve the community through little projects.”

This year, NHS projects have included tutoring through SLED and local elementary/middle schools, raising money for Project Graduation, and participating in the Leesburg Halloween Parade. Future projects include creating meals for the less fortunate in Loudoun County through Grace to Go, toy drives, and fundraisers.

“I’d like to see all members actively participating in the community and going above and beyond the requirements,” Solitario added. “This isn’t just something to put on your résumé.”