Bi-Weekly Wrap Up (9/20-9/24)

Hey Huskies! Here is what you need to know about what happened this week.

By: Njeri Jackson

Sports

The three volleyball teams (Varsity, JV, and Freshement) all played Broad Run Thursday evening. Varsity field hockey played Old Dominion Thursday as well at 6:45. The week will be finished off with a Varsity football game against Briar Woods at 7:00 today.

Winter sports tryouts are on November 8th. Athlehes are now required to either be vaccinated or take covid tests every week, so students should either be fully vaccinated by tryouts (which means that it is 14 days after receiving the second dose) or they will be required to take weekly tests until they are vaccinated. The first shot must be done by October 4th.

Clubs and Activities

Numerous interests meetings are upcoming this week and in the future. Some of these include the Rho Kappa (National Social Science Honors Society) application which is due on September 30th (sponsor: Ms. Lane), the walking for water club (sponsor interest meeting on September the 24th (8:30 in 504), the environmental club (sponsors: Ms. Treanor and Ms. Heaver) meeting on September 27th at 8:30 in room 503, and the Young Democrats is on October 4th after school and October 5th before school in the library (sponsor: Ms. Scheiv.) Other clubs and activities that had interest meetings this week include the Literary Magazine, Multicultural Committee, and Powder Puff.

Here is the full list of approved clubs, although there is definitely an open platform for more clubs: https://www.lcps.org/Domain/10705 

Recent and Upcoming Events

This month is National Hispanic Heritage Month (9/15-10/15). There is a visual arts contest associated where students can submit their pieces of art that they think represent Hispanic heritage. Submissions are due October 12th to Ms. Paz in L212 and student voting will occur October 11th-14th with the winner being announced on the 15th. Tuscarora will also  be hosting published poet, Andrea Naranjo on September 22th and 24th in the library during all lunch blocks. 

In addition picture day for underclassmen will be Thursday and Friday during social science classes.

Friday will be a Hawaiian spirit day.

September the 27th the junior class SCA will be hosting a spirit night at Chick-fil-a from 3:00-9:00 to raise funds for their grade.

Last but not least, the Counseling department will be hosting “The Hispanic Conversation: Life After High School,” an event to discuss postsecondary options. The event will be completely in spanish.