THS Presents Jekyll and Hyde

By — Sally Bermudez
Photo courtesy of Tuscarora Drama Department on FaceBook.

After the final showing of the THS production Sleepy Hollow, the theatre department announced that the next school production would be the Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It’s going to be this years 2020 Cappies performance. The novel written by Robert Louis Stevenson was published in 1885, made into a movie in 1941 and turned into a musical in 1990. The book revolves around Detective John Utterson who tries to figure out the hiding place of the mysterious Mr. Hyde who has been connected to many murders. The musical revolves around Jekyll trying to fight his evil side while trying to protect his fiance, Emma. Throughout the musical, the cast starts singing many songs including “No One Knows Who I am,” “Good ‘N’ Evil,” and “Alive.” This Spring production will be performed on April 16th, 17th, 18th, 20th as well as May 1st and 2nd, but tickets will be on sale in March. 

Ana Cesarz, a junior who’s been in the theatre department at Tuscarora High School since her freshman year and all throughout middle school has been in fourteen plays all throughout her school career including The Addams Family, Shrek the Musical, The Little Mermaid, and Seussical. When asked what we should be expecting and how much work goes into producing school productions, “A lot,” says Cesarz, “We have rehearsals in the mornings and evenings, as well as Saturdays. They usually go until 5:30 after school until tech week when we’re at school until 10:00 or later.” Casting hasn’t been decided yet, but the call back list has been announced and the list will supposedly be out soon. According to Cesarz “there are four main positions. There’s Jekyll, Hyde, Emma, and Lucy. There’s only going to be one cast with understudies. There will be cuts because he’s casting the ensemble as well, and because this is a Cappies show not everyone that tried out will be in the play.”

Tusky Arts.png

Although Jekyll and Hyde will be taking place in late April and early May, there’s still a way to be updated on the preparations and the casting for this play. You can follow @TuskyTheatre on Twitter and @tuscarora_performingarts on Instagram. Tickets will be available online https://www.tuscaroraperformingarts.org/ or sold at the door on the days of the show.