Girls’ Cross Country Places in Second at the VHSL State Championship

Robert Johnson

By Tori Custer

Tuscarora Cross Country team take home runner-up in the VHSL Championship on November 12 in The Plains. The girls came second only to George C. Marshall High School, who will be moving to 6a next year. Junior Emma Wolcott received bronze with her time of about 18:01.00 in the 5000 meter run. Sophomore Ava Hassebrock achieved a time of 18:21.00, which put her in fifth place. “It feels so cool to have accomplished so much with my team, and all the effort we put into our season really paid off,” said Sophomore Kati Russell.

The runner-up position in states followed an already successful season. Both the girls and boys cross country team finished first in Conference 14. Emma Wolcott finished first, and Ava Hassebrock placed in second, both with incredibly speedy times. “A lot more goes into running than people think. It’s not just practice, it’s getting enough sleep and eating right for every meal to make sure your performance is at its best for races. Other than that we run every day including weekends to train for races, especially the state, region, and conference competitions,” said Ava Hassebrock.

This would mark the second year in a row that the girls were able to acquire hardware at a state championship. In the previous year, the girls won their second state championship. They are aiming to keep running towards another state championship, which they are all working towards now. “Next year I would love to help my team get first at states. This is a big goal, but it is also achievable. I can’t wait for next year!” said freshmen Katie West. “We are very excited for the season next year and are planning to work hard every day for another state title. I am looking forward to running with everyone on the team next year and running my hardest,” said Ava Hassebrock.