Boys’ Varsity Basketball Falls to Broad Run 72-74

Broad Run Senior Bryce Humphrey goes for a jump shot. The Point Guard ended the night with 11 points. Photo by Rikki Pepino
Broad Run Senior Bryce Humphrey goes for a jump shot. The Point Guard ended the night with 11 points.
Photo by Rikki Pepino

By Rikki Pepino

The Tuscarora boys varsity basketball team came up short last Friday, January 16 as they were outscored by Broad Run High School in a very close 2-point game.

Tuscarora trailed the Spartans all night increasing their losing streak to 2 games in a row. Broad Run junior Jaleel Robinson led his team to victory garnering 20 points, 9 rebounds and 3 assists. Supporting the Small Forward were seniors Brady Reitzel and Tyriek King with 12 and 18 points respectively.

The first quarter started off a bit slow as Tusky ended the quarter 18-18 against Broad Run. The team showed no signs of letting up until the Spartans held a 40-34 lead against the Huskies by the end of the first half. Tuscarora then came back in the third outscoring Broad Run by 3 points, but came up short in the final seconds.

The night wasn’t a total loss in Tuscarora basketball however, as the Lady Huskies beat Broad Run in Freshman, JV and Varsity with the final scores 34-11, 38-15 and 60-51, respectively. Boys JV also had a successful night, winning against Broad Run 56-55.

Varsity Huskies now own a 9-4 record. They played at Freedom High School on Thursday, 22, for a 5A Conference 14 game, and won with a score of 91-49.