Huskies Defeat Falcons End Season 10-0

_MG_2234

By:Hanna Duenkel

On Friday night, November 7th, the Huskies poured their hearts and souls into the varsity football game to defeat Briar Woods, and left the night with an undefeated season.  The Huskies were coming off of a beneficial bye week, while the Falcons had lost to Potomac Falls the week before, with a score of 7-8.

“We had the advantage of having a bye week before Briar Woods, so we had two weeks to prepare.  We were able to watch them in person,and we had some film on them, so we really got to have some extra prep time to get ready for what they were going to do,” said Tuscarora assistant coach Brandon Wheelbarger.

At the end of the first quarter, the Huskies already had a 14-0 lead against the Falcons, with both touchdowns by Noah Reimers and both extra points completed by Finley Underhill, who completed five out of six kicks that night.  Reimer’s second touchdown was an impressive forty-nine yard dash after a small reception from quarterback Daniel Smith.

The Huskies held strong, causing turnovers against the Falcons and gaining one more touchdown by Daniel Smith, ringing up the lead to twenty-one points at the half.

As the game progressed, the Falcons fought back, bringing it closer and closer to the end-zone on each drive, but never made it fully there.  After one more touchdown by Reimers and a sneak-in by Smith, the Falcons had still not scored by the end of the third.  The score was then 34-0, since one of Underhill’s extra point kicks had been blocked, but the Huskies were not going to stop there.

The final touchdown of the game was by Jason Chubbuck, extending the lead to 41-0 with Underhill’s completed kick.

“It was fun.  It was probably the best performance that I’ve been a part of and I’ve been playing here since freshman year.  This game will be a game to remember,” said Chubbuck.

Briar Woods retained the ball and made it all the way to the edge of the end-zone, but the clock ran out before they could convert to a field goal or touchdown.  The Huskies had defeated Briar Woods, won the Potomac Conference trophy, achieved a record-setting undefeated season, and received the home field advantage for the first playoff game of the season.

“It was a fun game from the start.  Briar Woods is great, but I think that we just had a little more chip on our shoulder to play with,” said Noah Klemm, a senior defensive lineman for the Huskies.

The Huskies play their first playoff game on Friday, November 14th at home against Thomas Edison High School, in their first of five possible post-season games.

As for how the Huskies are going to perform next week, Chubbuck said, “We’re going to play with fire in our hearts.  We’re definitely aiming [for] that state championship.  We want those rings, so we’re going to play as hard as we can.”