Tuscarora Flips for Fortune

By: Katie Forcade

Throughout the 2014 football season, Tuscarora’s cheerleading squad will be raising money through “Flips for Fortune”, a fundraiser contributing to the Adam Fortune Scholarship Fund.

At the beginning of each game, fans can donate a dollar to the scholarship, and for every dollar earned, both varsity and JV cheerleaders perform either a backhand spring or a tuck.

The money raised from Flips for Fortune will eventually go to a college-bound football player without a football scholarship.

“I’d say each of us probably does around fifteen to twenty flips per game,” says sophomore Julia Thoppil, a varsity cheerleader. “The cause is very important to me because even though Coach Fortune wasn’t my coach or teacher, he was still interested in getting to know me and every student at Tuscarora High.  He could always brighten someone’s day, and I think he would be proud of us for raising money for a scholarship in his name, and giving back to someone in the community,” she explained.

Varsity cheerleading coach Meg Upp founded the fundraiser.  “[One of the cheerleaders and I] were at [Fortune’s] memorial service in Frederick [Maryland], and thought of the idea of ‘Flipping’ for Fortune.  We just rolled with that idea, and it turned into this scholarship,” she said.

According to Coach Upp, Flips for Fortune raised $200 alone at the tailgate game and, in total, has raised $365 from the past seven games. A percentage of the “Fortune Strong” and “Good Fortune” t-shirt sales also go toward the Adam Fortune Scholarship Fund.