One Step at a Time: Walking to Fight Cancer

By Madeline Swank

At 10 a.m. on Sunday, September 22, runners, supporters, and walkers lined up for the Stop Cancer Now 5k. Sporting their running numbers proudly on their chests and special colors or patterns to represent the cancer they support, the participants set off to stop cancer.

The Stop Cancer Now 5k took place along the C&O canal trail in Georgetown. Tables were set up with the race’s sponsors. Runners lined up to receive their number and got ready for the race by participating in the warm-up led by a nearby fitness center representative.

Some of our very own Huskies attended the race, including sophomore Gillian King.

“I think the race was towards a good cause, and I just had a lot of fun running,” says King. “They did do a good job with the race. The t-shirts had all the names of everyone the foundation was honoring, and they also mentioned people’s names at the event. I thought that was really nice.”

The race honored people who not only lost their lives to cancer, but cancer survivors. It benefits the Cancer Prevention and Treatment fund, which helps children and adults lessen their risks of getting all types of cancer and assists them in choosing the safest and most effective cancer treatments. The Cancer Prevention and Treatment Fund also provides free assistance to thousands of patients through their health hotline.

The group with the most fundraising was the Bob Knuff group led by Michelle Knuff. Their team raised $2,920 in honor of Bob. The second place group, Team Olsons, raised $1,370 in honor of Douglas Olson and Patricia Olson. Douglas was the fastest runner at the 5k in the over 65 category. Team Russo Audas came in third place, raising $1,250 in honor of Tiffany Russo’s mother, who is an ovarian cancer and a prostate cancer survivor.

Cancer is a major issue in our modern society. Everyone can name at least one person they know who was or is affected by cancer. The Stop Cancer Now 5k brought this particular subject to the spotlight and made people realize how important it is to support those who are struggling with this life-threatening disease. A walk may not seem like much, but one walk can become five, and five can become ten, and before we know it, we are changing the world one step at a time.