Cancer Awareness on the Rise

Cancer Awareness on the Rise

By: Megan Ford
Wondering why all the guys around school and town have moustaches? No-Shave November, also known as Movember, has taken the world by storm.
   With date and origin disputed, it is agreed that No-Shave November started somewhere in Australia and really took off around the world in 2004. With the rules clearly stated as starting the month of November clean-shaven and not shaving any facial hair until the end of November, men around the globe become very scruffy until December 1st. Throughout the entire month, they do not shave, in order to raise awareness and funds for prostate cancer.
   By wearing the moustache, it creates a huge potential to generate conversations about men’s health. Molly Fuller, 10th grader and sophomore class president noticed that, “The guys at our school have really been active in No-Shave November. There were posts about it all over facebook, and posters up around the school. The boys at our school were also very open about why they had facial hair.” Despite this fact, many still don’t know what the moustache’s are for. Michael Richardson says that although he heard about the movement last year in gym class, he had “no clue what the meaning is.” Following this, one 10th grader, Molly Dailey, says that she heard about it at school,  while Tristan Dunn says that he “heard that it’s for prostate cancer.” And he is correct in that.
   Prostate cancer can be curable; depending on how advanced it is when treatment begins. In 2009, 255,755 people around the globe joined together to raise a total of $42 million to fund research that accelerates the unearthing of treatments, and at the end of the day a cure, for prostate cancer.
   The movement was inspired by all the women who participate in raising awareness for breast cancer. The breast cancer movement is noticed every October, which is widely recognized as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. It began in 1985 and has occurred annually every year since then.
   “Our schools do a great job getting the word out about Breast Cancer [Awareness] month, and some things we can do to help out. Kids really seem to get into it, and I think they like being able to help a worthy cause,” says Molly Fuller, “I personally think that Dig Pink night is one of the best days the school has. For the people who know of, or have lost someone to Breast Cancer, it’s nice to see peers really trying to help and support you. I can only imagine how good it would feel to see all that pink when you’re going through a tough time.” Many people donate money to the Battle for the Cure foundation which raises money to help find a cure for breast cancer. While the ribbon that embodies breast cancer awareness is pink, the symbol for prostate cancer awareness is a blue ribbon. Once again Molly Fuller is all for supporting prostate cancer and says, “If I find a female friendly way to support this worthy cause, I will definitely try and help out, and maybe we can see about doing something with the school to support Prostate Cancer.”
   Besides the fact of raising awareness for cancer, there are many perks to participating in Movember. On average, the whiskers on a man’s face grow 5.5 inches per year, and a man will spend about 140 days of his life shaving these whiskers. Why not save money and time by participating?
   The group is quickly spreading out throughout the entire world. As of 2009 the whole group spread to the US, UK, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, Spain, South Africa, as well as the Netherlands and Finland.