Netflix’s Biggest Summer Movies All in One

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

Teenage Romance Movies: it’s what Netflix loves, and more importantly, it’s what the viewers love.  With a 95% Rotten Tomatoes and 92% audience score, Netflix’s new movie, To All The Boys I’ve  Loved Before, takes the idea of teen romance to another level.  

“It just showed really great chemistry between the characters,” said sophomore Olivia Davis. “I absolutely loved the romance and when romance builds up, I really like it and those are my favorite.”

With new teen crush Noah Centineo as Peter Kavinsky, and oncoming actress Lana Condor as Lara Jean Covey, this movie gives viewers relatability, as it stars high school students and the struggles they have in their life.  Without giving away too much of the plot, the movie features Laura Jean and her love letters that are kept hidden in her room, how they get out, and the consequences that she runs into around town. The movie also features aspects of teen love and how it can be found in even the most unusual places and will really keep the viewer engaged and curious to what will happen next.

“I loved the storyline” said junior Emily Talucci. “It was such an amazing and beautiful rom-com story. Even though I don’t think that it would happen in the real world, it was just an amazing story to watch.”

Overall, this movie contains  laughs, a teenage humor plot, and regular teenage dilemmas that rolls into 1 hour and 39 minutes. It showed good relationships between siblings and how a single father is able to take on raising three girls.  It also demonstrates high school dilemmas, as well as bullies, and how teenagers go through other drama in their life, and it is ok to have a slow relationship.

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before is a mix between teen comedy and teen romance and is a good choice for lovers of both as well as people who want to see other sides of teenagers and how their life can be, even in intense situations.

The Kissing Booth:

It’s the basic love story: a shy girl falls in love with the popular guy and live happily ever after. However, in The Kissing Booth, it comes in a interesting way in a stereotypical type romance.  Directed by Vince Marcello, The Kissing Booth portrays teen life in a negative way throughout the movie , as teen drinking occurs as well as relationships and lies in the movie. This movie also includes violence and bullying in the movie, which also gives out bad messages to younger viewers.

“I think that negative messages were displayed because of the violence,” said junior Arianna Wright. “I also thought the younger brother was a bad friend, and the plot line was kinda cringy.”

Nevertheless, the movie provided interesting characters and real problems in the world, with the lead, Elle Evans portrayed by Joey King, going through relationship trauma as she must choose between her heart and her head. The Kissing Booth also brings up everyday problems in the world, as Elle lives with her single dad.

“I did like that about the movie.” said Wright about the family relationships during the movie.  “It does show a good message about family values and how other people can fill that hole in your life.”

Overall, the plot line was not the best, and the movie does not give off positive messages to teens. It shows rushed relationships, friendship issues and betrayal, and body shaming and violence. The Kissing Booth shows lust, and unhealthy connections between characters, and this movie should not be recommended to people who want a family-friendly movie.