Seniors’ Take on Track & Field

Graduation is a few months away, and as Indoor Track & Field enters postseason with Outdoor Track tryouts coming up, here is a reflection from some of the seniors on their experience with Track.

Photo Credits: Derrick Jerry (@eyeswideopenphotographyva/)

By: Njeri Jackson

For those that don’t know, Track and Field is a sport that consists of a mix of sprinting, long and middle distance running, jumping, throwing, and multi-events (like decathlons or steeplechase). Tuscarora’s Track and Field includes a combination of long distance (exs: 1000m or 1600m) and middle distance (ex: 800m,), sprinting (exs: 55m, 100m, 300m), relays (exs: 4x800m, 4x400m) throwing (shotput and discus), and jumping (ex: long jump, high jump) events.

Indoor track and field, which is new to the school, includes events such as the 55 meter dash, 500 meter dash, 4×800 meter relay, 1600 meter run, 3200 meter run, long jump, high jump, and shotput. 

The spring season includes events such as the 100 meter dash, 400 meter dash, 4×100 meter relay, 1000 meter run, 800 meter sprint, triple jump, and discus.

Seniors will sometimes do different events in the spring vs the winter because of the difference in options (and personal choice of course).

“For winter track, I run the 1000m and the 4x800m relay. For spring track I run the 800m and the 4x800m relay.” Aiden Wiehn said reflecting on the events he does. 

“For winter track I run the 500, 1000, 4X800, and 4X400 but mainly the 500,” Charlotte Hassebrock says, supporting this notion. “In spring I run mainly the 400 but I sometimes run the 800, 4X800, and 4X400.”

In terms of events, each person tends to end up finding “their event” (or events) with time. Everyone tends to have their own separate stories.

“I have been in Track and Field for 4 years, I got into it because after my first cross country season I was really thinking about never running again honestly, but my sister was a senior my freshman year and convinced me to go to track tryouts in January and I ended up loving it.” Hassebrock states. 

Wiehn also joined for similar reasons saying “I started Track and Field my freshmen year, and this is the first year that I’ve done indoor track, as it’s the first year it was offered at Tuscarora. I decided to do track my freshmen year as a transition between cross country to track to stay active, and have done it since.” again honestly but my sister was a senior my freshman year and convinced me to go to track tryouts in January and I ended up loving it.” Hassebrock states. 

Others, however, such as Emma Allen, who sprints and throws, says “I started track my sophomore year but it got canceled because of COVID, so Junior year was really my first season. I got into it because I used to play soccer so I felt it would be a good transition.”

Hassebrock encourages others who are thinking about starting their own track story, to “make sure they give it a try at least for tryout week because it is truly so fun and laid back.” She adds that  “it can be really hard when you’re starting out especially if you have never run before as you have to get into shape” but continues to say that those who try will “get into shape eventually and then it just becomes muscle memory and fun.”

As with most sports, students do find something they particularly enjoy about the sport, like it being “fun.”  

“My favorite part about track is the community. All my teammates and coaches are extremely nice people and make going to track everyday an experience that I always look forward to.” Wiehn says. 

Allen also feels a similar way, saying her favorite thing about track has been the “constant support from the other teammates.” She states “Everyone is always so supportive and is always encouraging and cheering everyone else on. “ 

“I like the team, like the family, just seeing new people and making new friends ‘cause the meets are fun and it’s just like a family,” says Evan Blum.

Others find enjoyment in their events or the competition. “My favorite thing about track is the meets,”  Brennan Stimart says. “They are so much fun, you get to cheer on your teammates, have them cheer you on and you get out of school early.” Stimart explains.

The sport isn’t always super great though, according to the seniors. 

”My least favorite thing about track is practicing when it’s super cold outside.” Allen said. 

”My least favorite part about track is Friday morning practices. Although that does mean that I do get an afternoon all to myself, I do not consider myself a morning person at all, so getting up really early to practice is a bit difficult for me.” Wiehn remarked. 

Stimart agreed, saying “my least favorite thing about track was the morning practices. I dreaded waking up at 6:30 to run a few miles before school.”

”My least favorite thing about track is practicing when it’s super cold outside.” Allen said. With the indoor season, students are usually outside in weather that can reach the early twenties with strong winds some days. 

With this, everyone deals with their own problems in regards to athletics, and just in general. Not everyone’s challenges are the same, and it is important to learn how to deal with them.

“The challenge I’ve faced is sprinting with asthma. It gets difficult at times but you just have to learn to practice and stay safe with it,” Allen said.

Blum states that “adjusting to longer distances,” has been a challenge for him. “Coming in, like in the beginning, I was shorter distance and they put me into longer distance and I’ve just had to adjust to that, but I think I’ve done a good job at that,” he says.

Regardless of the challenges and downsides to the sport, joining could really add to one’s life. So if interested, go for it, there’s nothing to lose! 

“I have been in Track and Field for 4 years, I got into it because after my first cross country season I was really thinking about never running again honestly but my sister was a senior my freshman year and convinced me to go to track tryouts in January and I ended up loving it.” Hassebrock remarks. 

“I have been doing track and field since freshman year. My friends told me about track and field and that I should go to conditioning. When I went I loved it almost immediately.” Stimart says. 

As the seniors move on, many of them say that they are planning to stay fit and run in a club or even by themselves. 

“I don’t plan on running track in college, but I do plan on potentially joining a running club and doing some sort of physical activity.” Wiehn says. 

“I do not plan on running for a team in college but I plan on staying in shape and running on my own.” Stimart states.

However, Blum has decided that he wishes to commit to a school, saying “I plan on continuing in college,” although he says he “is not sure yet” about the school, he is currently “in the process.”

“It’s been going pretty good. I’ve been talking to some colleges, calling some colleges, setting up some visits, and stuff, but I still don’t know yet.” he says. 

Good luck to Blum with finding a school to commit to and congratulations to all the seniors on the team, wishing them the best in their future endeavors!