Preparing for the Future

Throughout years, students have left high school ready to enter college with an intended major in mind. However, not every student graduates with that intended major, and they change majors while in college, which can be a major setback.

Now, teachers in high school are looking for a way for students to investigate majors before going off to the next chapter of their life. So the Capstone project was introduced to schools all across the country as a way for seniors to look into their intended major or to volunteer to give back to the community.

“Capstone is a program for seniors in their last weeks of high school to either chose a career path or a community service path,” said Capstone sponsor Ms. Trisha Causin. “Our hope is that students can try what they want to do with your life to take a step toward your future.”

The Capstone project can be done two different ways this year.  It can either be a career development pathway, such as getting an internship with an elementary teacher, or it can be a community service project, like volunteering at a church or animal shelter.

“I chose the Community Service Project because I already volunteer a lot,” said senior Kylie Baudoin. “It also is already related to what my major is, so it is beneficial either way.”

“I will be working with a preschool classroom at Frances Hazel Reid for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing,” said senior Kate Sulek. “I have always liked working with these kids, and I am happy that I get the chance to through Capstone.”

Capstone also prepares students before entering college and the world outside of school.  It teaches them how to contact businesses on their own, have forms in by quick deadlines, and be independent from adult help.

“Students can develop professional networking,” said Causin. “They have to be able to talk and communicate with people in order to get this internship.”

During the program, Students have shadow days with their sponsors as well, before the two weeks in May, when the program was going on. This gives students the opportunity to meet their sponsors and coordinate dates before the program begins.

There are also some requirements for Capstone, that students may or may not be aware of, as well as some restrictions on what the students can do.

“We do ask that students follow the senior exemption policy, have a mostly clean record, and have their assistant principal sign off on the absence,” Causin added. “Students cannot use saws, or go to metal sheeting factories, and there’s a whole list of prohibited forms.”

Capstone opens a variety of opportunities for seniors before they go to college, and teaches them how to make connections before graduating.

“I think by the time we’re seniors, we should be able to go out and work,” said Sulek. “ At this point, a lot of us know what we want to do or have an idea, so by going to placements, we can begin to explore the career that we want to go into.”

“My seniors two years ago were complaining about still being in school, so I looked into Capstone, and put together a proposal for the administrators,” said Causin. “I mean after AP exams, let’s get our kids out there, and get them experience.”