The ‘Burg from Then to Now: A look into the change in Downtown Leesburg over the past 10 years and how it is different from other areas in the United States

By Maria Schense

The town of Leesburg: a town or more of a city? According to the United States Census Bureau, in 2007 Leesburg housed over 38,320 people, and as of 2016 it increased by almost 15,000 to 52,607 people.

Within these 10 years, new restaurants have opened, new homes have been built, and new small businesses were created.
Compared to other areas in the United States, Leesburg has a lasting popular area, which is proudly named: Downtown Leesburg. “Downtown Leesburg has an intimate feel to it [because] everything is so close together and friendly,” said junior Scott Mullen.

Though the unique historical structure of Downtown still stands tall, many of the shops have changed as the years have passed by. New restaurants including Bitez, Cowbell Kitchen and BDoughnuts, have became town favorites, supported by long lines, and many customers.
“…The restaurants and events in town can accommodate all ages. [My favorite] is Bitez. It’s grilled cheese,” said sophomore Katie West.

But old favorites and aged businesses continue to be popular. “My favorite part of Downtown Leesburg would have to be the antique shops or Mom’s Apple Pie,” said junior Holynn Cook.
Like other areas in the United States, Leesburg has its ups and downs. Although it has its charm and constant development, it naturally lacks in other areas. “I feel like people in Texas are a lot more friendly. Everyone here is always in a rush to get somewhere,” said Cook, who was raised in Texas.
With all the constant hustle and bustle in Loudoun County from student involvement in athletics, academics, and friends, people can forget to lend a hand. But if the roles were reversed, and a student moved from Leesburg, to a different part of the U.S., the response given would be a different outcome.

“Leesburg is really positive encouraging atmosphere where everyone cares about everyone even if they don’t know them. It’s different from living near a city, here it feels busy,” said Tali Klaff, a former Tuscarora student, now Pine Richland junior in Pennsylvania.
As judged from one point of view to another, Leesburg has a lasting historic and “encouraging” environment, that arguably will continue for the next 10 years.