The Man, The Myth, The Legend: A look inside the life of junior basketball player, Jared Cross

By Sully Carr

If you are familiar with the Boy’s Basketball team the last name Cross should ring a bell. George Cross, a 2016 graduate, played for the Varsity squad from 2014 to 2016 and was even a starter during his time with the team. Now it’s Cross’ younger brother, Jared’s time to shine. Jared Cross, was the starting small forward on the Varsity Boy’s Basketball team last season and has been working on his game all offseason.

This will be Cross’ thirteenth year playing basketball and his third year playing for the school. Cross describes his game as, “Athletic, because I tend to use my athleticism to get around people and score.” He also compares himself to NBA MVP, Finals MVP, and eight time all-star Kevin Durant because, “We are both ‘long’ and we use that to our advantage as well as athleticism.” Cross’ has been working on his shooting, strength, agility, and ball handling over the offseason and his goal for the season is, “to get a ring once [the Huskies] win states.” Cross’ also had this to say for any freshman who are looking to try out for the team this season, “come to the pre season practices and liftings because they will get you prepared when it comes to tryouts.” Cross’ teammate, Brayden Van Leliveld, described Cross’ game as, “Smooth, because he always makes everything he does look so effortless.” Van Leliveld also had this to say about what he expects from his fellow teammate this season, “ I expect [Jared] to make an all conference team.” Another teammate of Cross, Mikey Ortega, said, “Jared is a very quiet guy and doesn’t talk a lot during the game. He does his job and makes sure he doesn’t let his teammates down.” Ortega also stated, “Jared is a good teammate because you can always count on him when you need him most. Jared won’t let you down and he will always come in clutch.”

In Cross’ free time he enjoys, “hanging out with friends, and playing sports.” Cross can be quiet during school, but once he is in his comfort zone with friends you never know what could happen. Cross’ good friend, Duncan Schenk said, “I have almost never experienced a dull moment when Jared is around.” Schenk also stated, “Jared had done many hilarious things when hanging out with they boys including doing funny impressions, and cracking jokes.” Scott Mullen, another friend of Cross’ said, “It is never a bad time when around Jared, unless you get on his bad side.” Another good friend of Cross’, Nathan Kelly said, “I have always had a good time around Jared because he is always cracking jokes and making everyone have a great time.” Junior, Cole Francisco, had this to say about Cross, “Jared Cross, don’t you mean the man, the myth, the legend.” Cross is a humorous student who is always saying jokes and having a good time.

Last season Cross averaged 8.8 points a game, had 111 rebounds, 48 assist, 28 steals, and 18 blocks. Cross plays an all around game which means he can score when the team needs it and can back it up with his defense. Cross’ goals are to “win states and make an all conference team,” and with the improvements he made to his game those goals should not be hard for Cross to meet.