A 2017 MLB Preview

By Sully Carr

The 2015-2016 Major League Baseball (MLB) season was full of action packed storylines and this year should be no different. The Chicago Cubs ended a 108 year championship drought, when the Cleveland Indians blew a three game to one lead. Many stars moved teams and even some had season ending injuries and are looking to have a bounce back year. The 2016-2017 season should come down to the wire for who is going to make the playoffs with the new additions joining contending teams, and the players coming back from injuries and down years.

Will the Cubs Repeat?

The Chicago Cubs were the best team in baseball last season and definitely deserved to earn the hardware they won. The team had a 103-58 record last season and they are looking to play even better this year. The Cubs’ star third baseman, Kris Bryant, won Most Valuable Player last season and hit 39 home runs with 102 runs batted in. Bryant is playing in his third season and is one of the best players in baseball who should carry on how he played last year into this season. The Cubs lost center fielder, Dexter Fowler, in free agency, but even with his lost presence the team should play as well as they did last season. The Cubs are a top tier team this year and are the favorites to repeat, so do not be surprised if they are still around in October.

Major Trades and Free Agency Signings from this Offseason:

Every offseason there are free agents that sign with new teams who should help the team contend to win the championship. A top free agent who signed with a new team is, Edwin Encarnacion, who signed with the Cleveland Indians during the offseason. Encarnacion hit 42 home runs and 127 runs batted in last season and will be a huge impact for the Indians offense. The biggest blockbuster trade this offseason was for Chicago White Sox star pitcher Chris Sale in exchange for the Boston Red Sox’s number one prospect Yoan Moncada, and three other prospects. This trade was great for both teams because it made the Red Sox the favorites to win the American League Championship, and the trade helped the White Sox gain a young star player. These two moves should help all three teams for this season and more to come.

Players coming back from injury and down seasons

There are always players who suffer injuries during the baseball season and there are players who have disappointing seasons. Bryce Harper was the 2015 Most Valuable Player who hit 42 home runs with 118 runs, but in 2016 he had one of his worst years. All of Harper’s numbers went down and was one of the most disappointing players last season. Hopefully this season Harper’s numbers will go back to ones he had from his MVP season. A player who is coming back from injury this year is Chicago Cubs’ left fielder, Kyle Schwarber. Schwarber was going on track to be baseball’s best young player, but due to an ACL injury. Schwarber came back in the World Series last season and had seven hits and two runs batted in, and helped the Cubs win the World Series. Harper and Schwarber are two of the best sluggers in baseball and should be on track to have great seasons.

Awards Predictions

The 2017 MLB season should be great after all of the trades and free agency signings from the offseason. The 2017 Most Valuable Player in the National League will be Chicago Cubs’ Anthony Rizzo, and Los Angeles Angels’ Mike Trout in the American League. Rizzo is one of the best first baseman in the MLB and should have a great season. On the other hand Trout is coming off of his second MVP and no one is in his way from winning his third. The American League Cy Young, the award given to the best pitcher in each conference, will be Cleveland Indians own, Corey Kluber, who came in third last year. Kluber is a dominant pitcher who is always in the mix for this award, and should win his second this season. The National League Cy Young will be Washington Nationals own, Max Scherzer. Scherzer won the Cy Young award last year and in 2013. He is the Nationals number one pitcher and his numbers are always near the top. My final prediction is the Chicago Cubs who will win the 2017 World Series. The Cubs are the best team in baseball and I do not see anyone stopping them. There manager, Joe Maddon, is one of the best in the business and always can put a good lineup together. The Cubs are a great young talented team who are on track to repeat their title.