Gymnastics Regular Season Overview

By: Ciara Reed

This year, Tuscarora varsity gymnastics has made groundbreaking progress and stellar achievements. The girls have been working harder than ever, and have risen to the top as one of the best.

The gymnastics team have taken first place in all but one of their meets, defeating the majority of the teams in Loudoun County. They won their first competition in December, beating teams from Loudoun Valley, Park View, Broad Run, Freedom, and Rock Ridge.

On January 7th, the gymnastics team hosted a home meet at Tuscarora against Freedom, Briar Woods, Potomac Falls, and Parkview, and claimed second place behind Freedom with an all-around score of 133.550. Sophomore Claire Pettit scored a 36.350 in all-around, and received second place for individual awards. Sophomore Julia Thoppil won fourth place on bars and third place on vault, earning an all-around score of 34.750.

On January 15th, the girls attended a competition at Park View High School and took first place once again with a team score of 133.350. Pettit received second place in the all-around and Thoppil placed fourth. Also, ninth grader Jadyn West placed second on vault, while freshman Reese Orwig and senior Nadeen Elsharkawy scored their highest on vault, with Orwig earning a 8.0 and Elsharkawy a 7.8, respectively.

For their last meet of the regular season, the gymnastics team competed in the Glory Days Invitational, held at Rock Ridge High School, and came in first place with a total score of 132.000 points. Pettit won first for Tuscarora in the individual all-around awards, followed by West in third place. Thoppil tied for first place on vault with Pettit, and won third on bars. Sophomore Samantha Glass and freshman Emily Frank scored their highest on floor with scores of 7.850 and a 7.925, respectively, putting Frank in the top ten.

Overall, the team has had 5 first place wins and 1 second place win, ending their regular season victorious. Giving their consistent successes, Tuscarora varsity gymnastics has proven to be a tough contender in the Conference Championships, the Regional Qualifier, and the State Championships (?)