Girls’ Varsity Basketball wins against Broad Run 60-51

Photo by Delaney Casten
Photo by Delaney Casten
Photo by Delaney Casten

By: Delaney Casten

On Friday, January 16, the Tuscarora girls’ varsity basketball team won against the Broad Run Spartans, 60-51, at Tuscarora High School. This was their tenth regular season game and ninth win.

For the first half of the game, the Huskies trailed the Spartans. The first quarter started off quick when Broad Run junior Mariah Leonard scored the first two points of the game within the first five seconds. Then, junior Chloe Roach put Tuscarora on the board scoring 2 points. The first quarter ended 9-14, with Broad Run leading.

The second quarter was slow, with only 8 points scored by Tuscarora and 10 points by Broad Run.  Senior Alexis Bailey scored 4 points for the Huskies, while Roach added 4 more. The first half ended 17-24 with Tuscarora still trailing.

The Huskies were able to push ahead in the third quarter. It started off with 3 fouls within the first minute.  Senior Megan Leonard made the first 3-pointer of the game. The Huskies ended the quarter leading 43-36.

Broad Run made a couple of comebacks in the fourth quarter, but the Huskies came out on top.

“The game started out rough, but that was just nerves,” said junior Kiersten Hayes. “After halftime we got it together and started picking it up.”

The girls’ junior varsity and freshmen teams also won against Broad Run that night.  The JV team won 38-15.  Their season record is now 7 wins and 3 losses. The freshmen won 34-11, their record is now 7 wins and 3 losses.

Girls’ varsity’s current record is 10-1. Their next game was another home game against Freedom High School on Friday, January 23, which they won 60-45.

“[So far] the season is looking really good,” said junior Rachel Nibbelink, “I think we should go far.”