Tuscarora Girls’ Lacrosse Prepares for the Spring Season

By Madeline Swank

The girls’ lacrosse team has kicked-off its season with conditioning on the Bermuda field every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 4 – 5:30 p.m. Monday practices consist of stick skills with Head Varsity Coach Anna Collier, Tuesday practices include long distance runs with Assistant Varsity Coach Abbi Rzepnicki, and Wednesday practices involve sprinting and hills with Assistant JV Coach Courtney Herndon.

“Conditioning is getting me in shape for the upcoming season so I can already have endurance and be able to run fast,” said sophomore Danielle Dowling who played on the JV and varsity teams last year.“I like how I feel after conditioning. I feel so tired and my body aches, but I know that I have done good work.”

About 15-20 girls show up to conditioning each day, although during the spring season there is an average of 20-22 girls per team.

“I’m working really hard and pushing myself during conditioning more than I could just on my own, and I already see a huge improvement from where I started,” said Brooklyn Smith, who just started playing this season.

The girls’ varsity team had an 11-3 record last season and advanced to districts. However, the team did not make it farther than semifinals, as it was defeated by Woodgrove. This year, the team hopes to take on the season’s set of games with a strong approach, meaning the girls are preparing early for their new competition.