Showcasing Husky Spirit Since 2010

By Delaney Casten

From Tuesday, October 15th to Friday, October 18th, Tuscarora celebrated homecoming week in a way that allowed students to showcase both their creativity and school spirit: Costume.

On the first day of homecoming week, students of all grade levels grabbed their friends to pair up.  Some students dressed simply with colorful M&M shirts while others started the week off strong, dressing up as Mario and Luigi or characters from The Flintstones.

Wednesday was Disney Day, which was a huge success.  Just like the previous day, some dressed in simple costumes, while others went all out.  The school turned into Disneyland, with princesses and evil witches wandering the halls.

Going into school on Thursday was like entering a giant music concert.  Plaid shirts or leather jackets were on just about every student.  The freshmen dressed for their theme of jazz, clad in black dresses and feather boas.  The sophomores’ music genre was country, meaning denim jeans and brown boots were the most common outfit, but some went to the extreme, wearing a horse mask and spurs.

The juniors’ theme was rock.  Many juniors wore rock and roll makeup and lots of leather.  Some went so far as bringing their electric guitar. The seniors’ theme was pop. Some dressed in gold chains and backwards hats. A 2 Chainz was even spotted in the halls.

The last day of the spirit week was color day. Each of the school’s colors corresponded with a grade.  The colors are the same each year: Freshmen have grey, sophomores have white, juniors have black, and seniors have blue.  There was a sea of Tuscarora colors at the pep rally that was held that afternoon. “I felt connected to the school when I dressed up in my class color,” said sophomore Karen Cassine.

Homecoming spirit week was a success, but some kids didn’t dress up for any of the activities, even though details were posted around the school. “I forgot to wear my shirt on Famous Pairs Day,” said 10th grader, Veronica Singh, who was supposed to dress up as Thing One and Thing Two.

Regardless of whether or not they dressed up, many students still had a fun time throughout the week. “I liked dressing up and seeing other people’s costumes,” said Cassine. “It was really fun.”