The Huskies' Winning Streak

The Tuscarora football team remains undefeated this season, with a winning streak of 6 games. Photo by Delaney Casten.

By Delaney Casten and Megan Cohen

Athletics are an important aspect of any school, and Tuscarora’s varsity football team is a prime example of why that is. With a winning streak of five games and only six more to go before the season ends, the team has managed to start off strong and maintain their superiority.
To kick off the season, the team versed Kettle Run High School.  They walked off the field with a score of 31-21, confirming the beginning of a successful season. Adam Benalayat, one of the varsity Huskies, thought of the game as a good sign. “We had first lost [to Kettle Run] two years ago.”
Tuscarora played their first home game against Woodgrove.  Victory was theirs as the score ended at 21-14, making it their second consecutive win.
The most challenging win was against a school that had been holding the title of state champion for three years: Martinsburg High School in West Virginia.  There was no doubt that Martinsburg was skilled, having only lost one prior game in the past three years, earning them their title.  

It was a close game, but Tuscarora emerged with a win of 35-34.

“I think it was a defining moment for our team,” says sophomore Eric Brouse, the up and coming quarterback. “It took a lot of practice to really prepare for it.”

They played against Heritage, a much-anticipated event. Throughout the week leading up to the game, Tusky Terror sold t-shirts with the words “Cage the Pride” emblazoned across the front. The bleachers resounded with cheers the following Friday as the team prevailed at 35-7, giving Tuscarora a sum of five wins.

“I think we’re going to continue our streak. There’s a lot of spirit to pump us up,” says David Harvey, another sophomore.

The varsity team also played a home game against Loudoun County last Friday, October 4.