The Pride vs. The Pack

By Daniel Friend

On Wednesday the 20th, Tuscarora’s varsity boys’ lacrosse team faced rival Heritage High School for a regular season matchup. The boys went into the game 0-3 hoping to get a win, but as fate would have it, Tuscarora fell short. That’s not to say the team didn’t put up a good fight, however. Within the first few minutes of the game, junior Nick Azzarita launched a bomb into the bottom right corner that scorched the surface.  
The big surprise of the night was sophomore Ben Drew owning not 1, but 2 goals. The first was a textbook play executed by starting senior Derek McGee, who broke the ankles of two Heritage defensemen when he came around the back side with a perfect lob to Drew, who then blazed it in for up-close and personal 1 point gain.

Another notable moment was when three of Heritage’s players were put on the sidelines for unsportsmanlike conduct, illegal stick, and off sides, all of which happened almost simultaneously. This gave Tuscarora’s boys the advantage they needed to shorten the deficit. McGee, as he always seems to do, charged up the field as if there were wings on his feet, skillfully dodging and weaving for 2 straight goals.
As the clock kept ticking, Tuscarora started to run into trouble, with Heritage senior Austin Brundage achieving a Hat-Trick with 2 goals in the third quarter alone. Ultimately Tuscarora’s defense couldn’t withstand Heritage’s fierce offense, and the game ended with a 7-13 to loss.