Huskies Nip Raiders in the End

By: Michael Nerantzis
If you weren’t there, you missed it.  In probably the most exciting game in Tuscarora boys’ soccer history, the Huskies pulled out an improbable 1-0 overtime win to defeat the Raiders of Loudoun County.  Defender Ben Ogedegbe scored the game-winning penalty kick in stoppage time of the second overtime.  The goal was set up with a penalty by County’s goalie, who slide-tackled midfielder Sergio Resendiz in the box.   The win puts the Huskies at 5-0-0, and at the top of the Dulles District.
Throughout the game, the Huskies were plagued by missed opportunities and awry shots.  Throughout the first ninety minutes, one would be justified to think that there was literally a force that was holding the ball out of the net. “I haven’t seen that happen in all my years of coaching,” said Head Coach Dave Gryder. “It’s disappointing for the guys out there working [when the ball is] just not going in.”  Star forward Angel Ceron-Garcia, who normally has a knack for making the last defender miss, seemed like he was a step behind either making a key pass or taking a shot.  Forward Francisco Salvador, who also usually places pressure on opposing defenses, struggled with finding a rhythm.
The defense continued their early season success by pitching yet another shutout.  Any time the Raiders had even a little push into Tuscarora territory, it was quickly smothered by the swarming defense of the Huskies.  Defender Edger Resendiz played a very notable game, out-running County’s forwards for loose balls and making some key clears throughout the game.  Yet again, goalie Adam Kight played another stellar game, recording eleven saves and taking pressure off Coach Gryder. “I’m very confident. He’s a solid goalie,” Coach Gryder said.
The end of regulation was frantic.  The Huskies had a full on attack of County with about nine players in the Raiders’ goalie box.  The pressure and the missed opportunities were equally enormous.  Three shots hit off the crossbar that would have put the game away, but all three puttered out.  When the first overtime started, no team really got anything going, causing a five minute stalemate at midfield.  In the second overtime, the Huskies seemed like they had no worries about Loudoun County scoring, so Coach Gryder moved more players up to attack.  The move almost came back to bite them as County made a brake down the field.  In the most controversial play of the game, it appeared there was a hand ball in the Huskies’ box which would have set up a game-winning penalty kick.  Instead, the referee missed the call and the Huskies went on to win.
Tuscarora has caught several breaks this year that have preserved their perfect record.  The most glaring need is offensive production which has yielded an unheard of five 1-0 wins on the season.  If the Huskies have any chance at their coveted state championship goal, they need to turn things around fast. “We know every team is going out there and giving us their best effort,” said Coach Gryder.