Wherever the View, Some Things Look the Same

By: Danny Sedlazek
The Different Perceptions of Homecoming from Underclassmen and Upperclassmen
LEESBURG, VA-Go anywhere in the world, enter any high school, and there is friction between upper- and underclassmen.  Whether petty misconceptions or flagrant bullying, the rivalry is alive and breathing. However, certain events bring these classes together in harmony, and homecoming is one of them.
One of the noticeable commonalities that both classes shared during homecoming week was a collective grumbling over the administration’s handling of it.  The feelings were best summarized by sophomore John Dooney:  “I knew exactly what [homecoming] was going to be: an administrative controlled letdown. It’s the main reason I didn’t show up to the dance. I wanted to have fun, not have their fun.”   The perceived problems with the administration stretched beyond the dance. “[The spirit days] could’ve been better if we weren’t forced to rip down the decorations after they were up for like an hour,” commented freshmen Ben Drew.
Yet senior Sam Rodgers offered a different take on the event. “You know what you’re getting into (with homecoming), but you have to make the most out of it.  That’s what life is all about.”  Sophomore Ashleigh Walker also seemed to be upbeat about the event, speaking in support of the week’s spirit days.  “[Spirit Days] absolutely serve a purpose! They get everyone in the school to do something together! Sure, dressing up is silly, but at least we’re all doing it together as a school to show our spirit!”  Unfortunately, many of Ashleigh’s classmates did not share her opinion, as was evident by the lackluster underclass spirit hallways (particularly the freshman’s.)  They served as a sharp contrast to the senior’s hallways, as JD Codde pointed out:  “It’s your last year, and you want to show why you’re in charge, so we go all out.”  And they had the hallway to back it up.
Of course everyone knows what homecoming is really about: the football game and the dance, and nearly everyone was on the same page when it came to the former. Freshman Connor Gavan echoed a common opinion: “I’m glad I attended [the game]. All of my friends were there, so I thought it would be a fun time…and it was.” Junior Kyle O’Connor agreed. “[The game] is great. It’s probably the best game of the year to be at because that’s the one where the most people go.”
Kyle also seemed to express the student body’s general feelings when it came to the dance. “Yes, I love to dance … just being able to be with my friends made it amazing, and I couldn’t ask for much more.”  Yet many students, primarily upperclassman, opted to skip the celebration. “I knew what I would get into, and I didn’t want to deal with another lame dance. I went to one freshman year, and that’s all the persuasion I needed,” said senior Jonathan Knockett.
While it seemed that more of the older students will remember this homecoming more than the younger ones, everyone appeared to have a semi-enjoyable experience. Senior Marquis Tillery said it best: “I’m a senior who didn’t participate very much when I was younger. But this was my last one, and you know what they say – ‘go big or go home’ baby. You know what? I think that we went harder than anyone could’ve imagined. I’m glad I left with a bang, because everyone remembers that.”
Whether they were looking from the bottom, or staring down from the top, nearly everyone enjoyed (or will remember) this year’s celebration.