Tuscarora January Play — Masters Class

By Emily Riley

On January 15th and 16th Tuscarora’s drama department put on the play Masters Class.  Masters Class was a One Act play,  meaning that it was considerably shorter and, as the name implies, was performed in just one act instead of  a play’s usual two or three acts. This also means that there was no intermission.

Senior Daniella Roberge snagged the lead role of Maria Callas after the auditions on November 18. In the play, Callas, a well-known 20th century opera singer and Prima Donna teaches a masters class directly to the audience.

Roberge has been performing in theatre since she was in third grade, and has been in a total of 11 shows at Tuscarora, which made the news of landing the part of Maria even sweeter. “I was unbelievably ecstatic! This is the most competitive show I’ve ever had to audition for, and even the audition alone was intimidating; I memorized two and a half pages in two days,” explained Roberge.

This was the perfect play for people who love the arts but don’t want to sit through a two hour play. “Audience members can’t help but be swept up in the grandeur and humor of Maria. Low-key insults and audience interaction are constant.”  Says Roberge.

Masters Class was short and sweet, filled with witty comebacks and your favorite Tuscarora actors.