Dream Bigger for Kids

Dream Bigger for Kids

By: Shalom Montero 
Don’t think about it as a donation, because you get more than you give.
Better yet, think about it as an opportunity, to open your eyes to the truth.
Kids in hospitals should know that you care.
 LEESBURG, VA- While other teenagers are living without a care, there are kids in hospitals who do not have the same luck. The organization Dream Bigger for Kids is composed of teenagers wanting to make a difference. President Edward Hill explained why he wanted to be a part of this organization, saying, “I’ve been blessed to live a very well off and healthy childhood. I feel as though those who are blessed should share their blessings.”
Dream Bigger for Kids (DB4K) is a group dedicated to helping those in need. The leaders are, President Edward Hill, Vice-President Michael O’Mara, Treasurer Nathan Huet, Secretary Molly Fuller, Historian Neeraj Dalvi, and Publicity Officer Sean Cassar. “Working hard to help children in need of positive support in their recoveries” is DB4K’s mission statement. They are making plans to raise money, are meeting with sponsors, and are working hard to meet their own expectations. “[Our sponsor is] Go Bananas,” said Cassar. As the Publicity Officer he has been the one in charge of making fliers and other graphics to attract the audience.
“Seeing sick kids makes me feel sad, and this charitable group gives me a chance to cheer them up, even if it’s just for a couple of days,” said Huet. The group is composed of people who just wish to help children who cannot help themselves. They care about the club and how it is going to impact those kids. “[DB4K] is moving along faster than I expected. We already have a sponsor and have permission to visit the hospital,” said Cassar. The original leaders and the students that were added to the team have been working hard in their own field of expertise.
Kalyn McLaughlin, sophomore, has not heard about the organization, yet she spoke about being interested in joining once she knew what DB4K was all about. She spoke about getting the word out there to other kids like her who had not hear about the program. Austen Fognano, another THS student, heard about DB4K through Facebook, where it started. He thought it was “good to see people doing [good things] independently.”
DB4K has also been forming events to raise donation money. They have made arrangements for a ping pong tournament at Loudon Valley High School on December 16th at 5:00pm. All the money will go to the organization. Admission is $10 dollars, but the winner will receive a $50 gift card to Dick’s Sporting Goods, and the second place winner a $20 dollars gift card from the same place.
All information about the club can be attained from the Facebook page or Dreambigger4kids.org.