Marching Huskies Claim Success at Band Competition

by Tyler Garling, Guest Writer
STERLING, VA – The Tuscarora Marching Huskies participated in the USSBA Northern Virginia Showcase at Park View High School, in Sterling, on October 22, 2011.
The band was very successful and received a score of 84.008 out of 100. Out of all the bands that performed the competition, the Marching Huskies were right around the middle, a very impressive feat for a second year school. As a second year school, they face the challenge of competing against more experienced bands in their division. Nevertheless, the Marching Huskies always remain confident and perform well.
There are numerous things for the band members to focus on during a performance; keeping in time with the drum major, remembering show music, knowing where they are doing the show. The band’s director, Ms. Newmiller, knows exactly what the members need to focus on during a performance.
“Listening for a balanced sound amongst the ensemble and working together for a quality performance,” said Newmiller.
This is Ms. Newmiller’s first full year of being the band director at Tuscarora, having received the position in early 2011. Newmiller assisted the band over the summer during Band Camp and can see how far the students have come since their first performance.
“The students not only completed the entire show with music, marching, and visuals; but began perfecting marching and music technique,” said Newmiller.
The 2011 marching show is entitled “Different Strokes” and features the music from the movie Pollock, a 2000 film about the life and career of abstract painter, Jackson Pollock. The show features many visuals, from dances to Color Guard’s water poles.
The band has around 63 members who all enjoy performing the show and playing the music. One member, in particular, has a passion for it. Jeremy Marks, a senior, is the section leader of the drum line. As section leader, he not only leads the drum line through rehearsals, but he’s also there to get the members focused and confident for their next performance.
“I tell them to focus on everything we did in practice,” said Marks on how he gets the other members ready for the show.
Jeremy not only knows how to get others focused, but he knows how to get himself in the zone. Before he performs, he usually thinks about the show and the things he’s done well.
The band’s successful season is coming to a close. The Marching Huskies have won numerous awards over the season. At the competition at Herndon High School, they received 2nd place in Percussion. At Loudoun Valley, they received 1st in percussion, guard, general effect, and visuals. At Park View, they received 2nd in percussion. Unfortunately, their competition at Millbrook High School was cancelled due to snow. However, the Marching Huskies participated in the Leesburg Halloween Parade.