Say “Boo” to Bullying

A campaign run by Tuscarora’s PEER.

During the month of October PEER ran a Boo Bullying campaign to raise awareness and promote anti-bullying. PEER, or Positive Experiences in Educational Relationships, is a program at Tuscarora that students can apply to that runs various campaigns to raise awareness of major issues. Some of these issues include domestic violence, bullying, and unhealthy relationships.
David Seekford, a senior at Tuscarora and head of the Boo Bullying campaign, said that in PEER, “we help out around the school, help out new students, and anyone who needs help.”
The Boo Bullying Campaign lasts through the month of October. Every Wednesday students are asked to wear red in support of the campaign. Some counties use different colors such as orange or pink to represent anti-bullying, but Loudoun County chose red because they use orange in February for healthy relationships month.
Seekford, manager of the Boo Bullying campaign, became involved with PEER because his sister was in it, and he saw the positive effect that PEER had on middle schoolers they mentor. Seekford applied his junior year and said, “I was fortunate enough to get accepted.” Seekford explained that the purpose of the campaign was to spread awareness while also incorporating the theme of Halloween. PEER strives to incorporate the whole school into the campaign by hanging up posters, passing out bracelets and t-shirts, and giving candy to students wearing red on Wednesdays.
When asked if the Boo Bullying campaign has a positive impact on Tuscarora, Seekford said, “I think it definitely does, even if it’s as simple as raising someone’s spirits.” He explained that the small act of getting a bracelet or candy could brighten someone’s day. PEER’s efforts to raise awareness and prevent bullying were aided by the Boo Bullying campaign.