Bi-Weekly Wrap-Up (10/18-10/29)

Hey Huskies! Here is what you need to know about what happened this week and what’s coming up.

Bi-Weekly Wrap-Up (10/18-10/29)

By: Njeri Jackson

Sports

The annual Powderpuff game took place October 15th evening  with the seniors beating the juniors 34 to 6. Congratulations to the senior team! Another congratulations needs to go to the cheer team, who made it to regionals after placing 1st in their competition on Wednesday. They edged out Broad Run with a score of 236.5 to their 236. Regionals will take place next Wednesday, October 27th, Park View.

Cross Country had their District Tournament at Morven Park Thursday afternoon.

Volleyball with be going to districts starting on monday at Loudoun County High School (although they will be playing a different team)

Varsity Football will play Dominion on the 22nd and Lightridge on the 29th.

Be sure to come out to one of our games to show support! For more information on timing, dates, and other sports please reference the schedule on the Tuscarora Sport’s website:

https://gohuskiesathletics.com/events/10/2021 

Winter sports tryouts are coming up on November 8th! Physicals must be filled if a student wants to participate, and vaccination is required for players if they do not want to take covid tests every week. 

Clubs and Activities

More club meetings are coming up. THS Health and Medical Club is having an interest meeting on the 26th in room 504. For more information contact Dr. Sulek at [email protected] . In addition, there are interest meetings coming up for multiple sports. Girl’s Soccer is on 10/21 after school in room 601. More interest meetings are posted on the sports website.

A few members that made All County Choir represented Tuscarora at an event last week at Lightridge: John Gibson, MacArthur Maryn, Tyler Steeprow Alyce Snead, Marjan Gharibnawaz, Sydney Nicklas, Ava Peach, and Mackenzie Haskell Patrick Hensley and Kay Gomez. Congratulations to all that made it in, and to all the members that participated in the event! 

Recent and Upcoming Events and Deadlines

The winner of the Visual Arts Contest in celebration of Hispanic Heritage month is 11th grader, Elma Hajric who submitted her painting of Selena Quintinalla. Huge congratulations! You can see her artwork outside of the cafeteria.

Speaking of the cafeteria, the lunch rule has been changed so students can now get two lunch servings for free compared to the previous rule that only allowed for one. Any additional lunches will have to be paid for.

Job for a Day is coming up this year for monday November 8th and tuesday November 9th. 11th and 12th graders have the option to shadow local (usually) businesses in order to experience what it is like at a job in each student’s area of interest. They have a wide range of options in different career clusters and different types of organizations. It is 50-90 minutes for virtual events and up to 3 hours for in-person events. This is a great opportunity to hear from real members in the workforce and to get an intro to what it’s like to actually work. Students can preview the list October 18-22 and can sign up from the 25th to the 29th. Make sure to register as early as possible, as space is limited.

The Seal of Biliteracy is coming up quickly: the deadline to pay the fee ($15) and fill out the form is October 28th, and the test will take place at 9:15 on November 9th. Another option for language testing is the Credit Through Testing, which allows students to receive class credit for a language that they can speak (and write) and haven’t taken in high school. The deadline to register is also the 28th, and the test will take place November 8th from 4:30-6:30. There is no fee to take the test.