Weekly Wrap-Up (9/6-9/10)

Hey Huskies! Here is what you need to know about what happened this week.

By: Njeri Jackson

Sports

The first game of the week was 9th grade football on Wednesday. Varsity field hockey played Loudoun Valley and Dominion High School Wednesday and Thursday evening respectively. Varsity Golf played at Stonebridge Thursday evening. There were also a couple of games from the 9th grade, JV, and Varsity volleyball teams with the most recent ones being played at Rock Ridge High School Thursday evening. JV Football played John Champe High School on wednesday and varsity football will be playing today at the same school. The week will end with a cross country meet at Oatlands Plantation at 9:15 for both boys and girls cross country.

Clubs and Activities

PEER is raising money for their campaigns. Buy a lollipop from a PEER member for $1 to support them. Theater auditions for the Fall Play were held over the 7th, 8th, and 9th this week as well. Tryouts for Shenanigans (improv troupe here) will be held next week on the 13th and 15th. 

The interest meeting for FCCLA is 9/14 at 8:30 at L506. Educators Rising new member interest meeting on 8/9/ and 8/23 (contact Ms. Palmatier for details). Interest meetings are on 9/15 and 9/22 at 8:30 both days for the Key Club (contact Mr. Bednarski for more information). Make sure to look at the bulletin boards in the hallways for information about clubs and activities.

Recent and Upcoming Events

The school is currently preparing for the upcoming Spirit Week where all the grades will be in a competition to win the Spirit Stick which will be rewarded at the pep rally next Friday. The week will finish off with this year’s “Under the Sea” themed Homecoming. The game is on Friday, September the 17th at 7pm and the dance will be the following day from 8pm to 11pm. Tickets are on sale this week for $10 and $15 next week. Bring a signed permission slip and check/cash to pay for a ticket at lunch.

Here are the themes for next week:

Monday: Lumberjack Day

Tuesday: Decades Day

Wednesday: Twin Day

Thursday (virtual): Comfy Day

Friday: Class Colors 

*Freshman-Gray

*Sophomore-White

*Junior-Black

*Senior-Blue

Permission form for Homecoming provided here: https://www.lcps.org/cms/lib/VA01000195/Centricity/Domain/5292/Dance%20Permission%20Form.pdf 

Leesburg and Loudoun County

The Board of Advisors determined that all county employees must get the vaccine or submit to weekly testing in a 8-0-1 vote on Wednesday. This comes after a recent decision to mandate the vaccine among student athletes. If athletes don’t want to get vaccinated, then they must also take weekly screenings. 

In addition, there is an ongoing court battle over the transgender policy (policy 8040) that was put in place this august. The policy has faced opposition since the day it was inundated and blew up after Leesburg Elementary School PE teacher Tanner Cross was set on leave for refusing to conform to the policy. He proceeded to sue the LCPS school board and was later reinstated.