Giving Back Thursdays — Larry’s Legends

By — Mia Parada

This year has shown to be a year to remember, not only are we in the midst of a pandemic, we are also seeing a boiling point for human rights in America. With all of the challenges, we are seeing more people step forward to help their fellow community members in numerous ways. So the focus here is to take a closer look at those members of our community who are helping in extraordinary ways, giving a shout out to those who are doing their part to make a difference in these challenging times. 

This week The Pack caught up with Dylan Hudson, a senior at Tuscarora High School, and an active participant in the LLS fundraising team called Larry’s Legends. Hudson along with other fellow Tuscarora’s students have began their own campaign to raise awareness to fight cancer and support the fundraising for LLS (Leukemia & Lymphoma Society), a charity founded in 1949 for fighting leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma, and improving the quality of life of patients and their families that are suffering from these diseases. 

“I chose to participate in this fundraiser for a few reasons. The first reason was to honor my grandfather who has struggled with multiple types of cancers for the past 6 years, this is why my fundraising team is called “Larry’s Legends”. The second reason is actually because of the pandemic, I feel like it is so easy to just give up on your goals with all of the hardships we’ve endured this past year. While it has been hard I have made it my goal to focus on personal growth and LLS has really helped me achieve that.” Hudson said when being asked about why he chose to organize and participate in this fundraising campaign. 

Hudson has taken a stand against Leukemia, Lymphoma, or Melomia that affects nearly 1.4 million people every year. Through this fundraising campaign Hudson and Larry’s Legends have been able to create a conversation about these diseases and support LLS through donations in the past two months. Through these conversations Hudson hopes that people begin to really understand the effects of cancer and these diseases. 

When asked about what people can do to support this cause Hudson responded, “People can support this cause by donating directly to my fundraising link and spreading awareness of my fundraiser and my cause. Also if any parents own small businesses I would love to meet to talk about possible partnerships, I want to get my community involved and be a part of the generation that ends cancer.”

Go support Hudson’s campaign here: https://events.lls.org/nca/loudounsoy21/DylanH