Welcome, Welcome All

Since 2010, the National Honor Society, or NHS, has been inducting members based on grade point average, as well as resumes to see which students represent the pillars of scholarship, leadership, service, and character.  With changes in the admissions process and a shorter induction ceremony, both the students and the faculty worked together to make the ceremony happen.

“We look at all the juniors and seniors who have that GPA, and they get the invitation to apply,” said Co-NHS sponsor Ms. Samantha Bissell. “Then once we see that an individual has the pillars of service, character, leadership and scholarship, that when we make the admissions decision or not.”

However, the induction process was changed to an extent this year and there are some more requirements  than in past years, such as the application and recommendations.

“We revamped the application this year,” said Bissell. “It was more detailed this year and there were some differences in general in just what we were looking for.”

“It is the National Honor Society, and we have to keep the standards as such” said Co-NHS sponsor Ms. Marina Bass. “I thought it was more user friendly for applicants, graders and us as sponsors, and I hope they found it that way.”

“I thought the admissions process was really simple,” said junior Elise Robson. “It was just as simple as fill in the blanks.”

It is not just juniors who are inducted either. If a student did not meet requirements as a junior, but meets them  as a senior, then they will also receive the application to be inducted into NHS as well to show that every upperclassman will have the opportunity if they put the work in.

“I don’t really think it matters that I’m a senior coming in with juniors,” said senior Ally Shaffer. “I actually completed the application this year, and I know a lot of the juniors so it was great!”

The induction ceremony was also different to some extent. In past years, the ceremony happened in Flex, or study hall, so there was 90 minutes of time.  This year, the ceremony happened in Advisory, so there was only 30 minutes. That means, only 30 minutes to have speeches, for everyone to recite the pledge on stage, get their certificate, and greet family and friends in the library.

“I thought the ceremony went really well,” said Bissell. “I was nervous because I wasn’t sure what it was going to be like, but the inductees were just amazing and it went off with a hitch.”

“It especially helped with current members of NHS,” said Bass. “Just the little jobs about 10 members were able to do really contributed to the ceremony.”

“It was a little stressful to say the least,” said junior Anna Lunt. “We had to wake up early for three rehearsals, and practice a lot, but it all worked out in the end.”

Even though it is just the beginning of their journey with  NHS, the inductees are already excited and ready to get to work to better the school and the community.

“I’m really excited to get volunteer opportunities,” said junior Abby Leonard, “I think that this experience will help me better my community.”

“I feel like NHS will help prepare me for the future,” said Lunt. “ I will be able to use this experience to help not only in high school, but in college and my everyday jobs.”