Winter Festivities

Winter+Festivities

During the winter holiday season, there are a variety of events and activities to become involved in, all over the state of Virginia. Some more local and small-town feel than others, there is an event taking place almost all the time throughout the season. These events are shared with family and friends, and help to spread holiday cheer and love, during a festive time of the year.

One Loudoun, known for its year round abundance of restaurants and shopping, hosts holiday themed events throughout the year. During the summer, it is marked by a carnival, while during the winter holiday season a pop-up Light Up Fest begins. The temporary event takes place from November 24th to December 24th and from December 26th to January 2nd. It focuses on Chinese heritage with the feature of Chinese lanterns, and many other lit-up exhibits. Additional aspects of the show include an abundance of worldly foods, as well as dancers and musicians to help fuel the energy of the night. “I went [to the Light-Up Fest] with my family, grandma and my uncle. It was fun to interact with them around the exhibits,” said senior Lindsay Hoffman.

Two of the most popular Northern Virginia Light Shows are the Bull Run Festival of Lights and Meadowlark’s Winter Walk of Lights. Bull Run, which is held in Centerville, Virginia is available to the public from November 21st-January 6th. Starting slightly earlier in the season, Meadowlark takes place in Vienna, Virginia from November 6th-January 6th. At each of the locations, thousands of lights are strung along a path, where participants drive along and gaze at the lights. From light-up Santa Claus’ to gleaming snowflakes, there is close to every aspect of winter found in the light shows.

Another family favorite found in Vienna, VA is the Wolf Trap Holiday Sing-A-Long. This concert was held on Saturday December 1st at 4pm, and lasted for two hours. The Sing-A-Long featured the United States Marine Band, as well as other local bands and choral groups. The event is also held as a fundraiser for Toy-for-Tots as attendees are asked to bring and donate an unused toy to the foundation. Although for many the event is an annual tradition, each year is marked with first-year participants. For senior Sarah Gould, her favorite part of the event was, “The last song, silent night, because the entire crowd was filled with candles and it was the perfect way to end the concert.”

The most local event has been a tradition with the chorus department for several years. Each year, the choral group goes from class-to-class, singing holiday carols to the students and teachers. This year the caroling took place on December 17th and December 18th during blocks 1 through 4, as well as during block 7. The event is meant to spread holiday spirit throughout the school as well as to get students excited for the upcoming break. In addition to the holiday aspect of the event is it also a “good way to promote joining chorus,” said junior Megan Gibson. Although the choral students host the room-to-room caroling, peer participation in the event is also welcome. “My favorite part is when we go to classrooms where all the students sing with us because it makes everyone more comfortable and it is a fun way to end before break.”

Be sure to look out for future information about next year’s winter holiday events!