One of Tuscarora's Own in Thanksgiving Day Parade

By: Lili Samios
LEESBURG VA- “I didn’t think I would make it, so I was surprised,” said Wallace Teska when asked about how he felt about making it into the 84th annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, and spending seven days in New York City. Wallace Teska is a sophomore at Tuscarora High School, and is the drum-major of the Tuscarora Marching Band.Wallace plays the saxophone and flute, and he says the reason he plays the saxophone is, “because I think it’s cool.” 
   Earlier this year he received a letter from a drum-major camp about an opportunity to be part of a marching band in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. So, he sent in an audition tape, and to his surprise, was accepted. He said he most looks forward to, “being able to be on TV.” There was  2.5 million spectators watching him, and 50 million people watching on TV.
   He was playing with the Macy’s Great American Marching Band, which each year honors some of the best high school musicians in the country.These musicians are chosen based on ability and past achievements. Only 185 students are selected from all fifty states, and the band also includes around 50 flags and dancers. The band is directed by Dr. Jon Woods who is from Auburn University and Ohio State University, and the dancers were choreographed by Greg Lagola of the Cadets Drum Corp of Pennsylvania. The band led Santa in the parade.
   The members of the band spent most of their time practicing while in New York City, but Wallace said that in some free time, ”We will have certain places we can go in the city. I want to go to the Statue of Liberty, Empire State building, Rockefeller center, and Columbia University.” When asked if he wanted to go to college for music he said, “no, I don’t know what I want to do yet.” His favorite classes this year are Band and Biology. Other than marching band, Wallace does jazz band, academic team, French club, and is a part of the National French Society.
   Wallace is a well rounded student, who has the opportunity to go very far. Hopefully you got the chance to see him march in Herald Square, in the parade on Thanksgiving, November 25, 2010.