Letter From the Staff: Be Thankful For What We Have

By The Husky Headline Staff

We as students enter the school every morning with ideas already plastered in our minds. We can blame social media all we want but it needs to stop. In terms of food, we tend to compare our lunches to home cooked meals and other school’s lunches. In the hallways and in the cafeteria, complaints are made about the school lunches but no one has facts to back up their opinion. No one knows how hard the cafeteria staff works to feed a student body of roughly 1,480 but they come in before school to start prepping all the food for us. They as a whole work hard to prep, cook, and serve us.

As a county, this year the LCPS School Nutrition Services Department has taken action in order to better the food and help improve student nutrition. To take a step in the right direction, they have brought the farm life to the school. Now, because of this local partnership with area farms, we get certain products from local farms like the lettuce for our salads. In addition, the cafeteria staff now make homemade soup and sweet potatoes fries.

For a student body of roughly 1,480, we should be grateful for the food we are served. The staff works hard to cook warm meals for us each and every day. We admit it is not a 5-star restaurant meal, but for the amount that is needed to provide breakfast and lunch daily to the school, the lunches are pretty extraordinary. The changes that are being made this year to the school lunch program aren’t done yet, and we know in the years to come more developments in the food will occur if these new programs are any indication. In the meantime, we should be considerate and grateful for the wonderful meals that are cooked for us everyday.