Powderpuff Game Draws a Crowd

By Chandler Tuten

The powderpuff football game between the junior and senior girls is traditionally part of the Homecoming festivities; this year it’s being played the week before Homecoming on October 4th. The powderpuff football game allows upperclassmen girls a chance to play football while it also allows the football players a chance to coach the teams. This event has been going for the past six years and always has a large turnout of students who want to play and coach.

The 2017 teams consist of 30 juniors and 30 seniors. The head coach for the junior team is Yusuf Rafiqzad while the head coach for the senior team is Peter Deer. The competitive spirit is already showing between the juniors and seniors, senior Anna Felber said, “I am looking forward to winning because I was unable to play in last years game due to an injury.”

But the juniors have no plans of backing down, junior Shakima Machulski said, “ I want to win and crush the seniors.”

Even the senior and junior coaching staffs on both teams are showing their competitive spirit; the coaches from both teams said the only focus they have towards this year’s powderpuff is winning and beating one another.

While there is a lot of competitiveness and trash talk, some players have a different mentality towards this year’s game. Junior Alyssa Longo said, “I just want to learn more about playing football and playing as a team with my junior class.”  

Another junior, Natalie Waghorn said, “I want to play football and have fun playing with my friends.”  

The powderpuff football game never fails to excite the fans.  Junior Brayden van Leliveld said, “I can’t wait to watch [the powderpuff football game] and see which team will win.”  The past powderpuff games have been highly attended and a popular student event and all the money raised at the event goes to prom.