Tuscarora How-To: Creating a New Club

By Tucker Stuntz

Here at Tuscarora, students have a perk that not many know about. Any Tuscarora student, no matter their age or grade, has the ability to start a new club. From Ultimate Frisbee and Model UN to the Coloring Club, anything can be created! If you have an idea for a club, take on these simple steps to get your club off the ground.

The first step in creating a new club is filling out the form and talking to the administrators involved with the creation of clubs!  This simple form can be found in the main office and simply asks for information about you, the club you intend to start, and a few other brief items. Mrs. Coakley, our principal’s secretary, Ms. Carter, our activities coordinator, and our principal Mrs. Croft will be great people to speak to when in the process of creating a new club.

The second and most important thing to do when creating a club is finding a sponsor. Every Tuscarora club has to have a sponsor– whether it is a teacher, administrator, or counselor– to oversee the club’s operations and be at the club’s events or meetings. Once you have found a sponsor for the club, you have to note who your sponsor is on the club application. Talking with your sponsor frequently will help your new club stay organized when setting up meetings and other activities.

Once your club is approved by admin, the third and final thing to do to get your club up and running is advertise! Start talking to your friends and other peers to get the word out. Make signs to put up around the school on the club boards, and even think about creating social media accounts to get the word out even faster! Hold an interest meeting with your sponsor and other students to see who wants to get involved, and then begin holding meetings and scheduling events if needed!

Creating a club at Tuscarora can be a very fun experience and help you and your peers have fun and be a part of something great! The only question left is: what great club will you create next?