Tuscarora Chief gives presentation to Junior class

by Anya Sczerzenie

On September 10, 2015, the junior class was introduced to the culture that Tuscarora High School was named after when Chief Rocca of the Tuscarora tribe was invited to the school to give a presentation in the auditorium.  The presentation took place in an assembly during 4th block flex. Chief Rocca discussed topics like Native American culture and respecting elders, and showed off his regalia and different important items he brought with him, like an otter skin decorated with beads.

“I just liked being able to experience a culture that we don’t really get to see,” said 11th grader Sean King. “We should learn about Native American culture before it’s lost to us.”

Ms. Vanzego, an English teacher, gave her 11th grade students an assignment to create a response to an idea that the chief talked about in his presentation. Students could write anything from a poem, to an article, or they could draw a picture.

“My students went to the presentation, and from the presentation they made a response to their experience,” Vanzego said. “I think my students took away a rich cultural experience, and it was unique for me – I’ve never met a Native American chief, and to hear him speak was something I’ll never forget.”

The following students from Ms. Vanzego’s classes contributed to the collage of artwork:

Elijah Grate, Caleb Bates, Sasha Rearden, Kristina Woodward, Bella Valle, Lauren Chang, London Ball, Afrah Khan, Alex Frederickson, Samantha Henkle, and Colleen Haines