Stop Cancer Now Lap-a-Thon

Photo by Ciara Reed
Photo by Ciara Reed

By Ciara Reed

This year Tuscarora will be hosting its first ever Stop Cancer Now Lap-a-Thon on April 26th from 11:45 p.m. to 2 p.m. The Lap-a-Thon’s proceeds will go toward the Cancer Prevention and Treatment fund that helps children and adults reduce their risks of getting cancer, and assists cancer patients with choosing the safest and most effective treatments. Essentially, the Lap-a-Thon is where people can support the fund by paying a $25 registration fee to walk or run any amount of miles around the school track. Also, people have the option of solely donating to the foundation in place of participating in the run. Tuscarora’s varsity baseball and track and field teams have already volunteered to participate, however, everyone is welcomed to join.

In addition to fundraising, the Lap-a-thon will be offering food, music, and other fun activities such as the Colors of Cancer costume contest and the Colors of Cancer balloons. Donors will have the opportunity to purchase colored balloons that signify different types of cancer, which will be tied to the fence through the duration of the event and released into the sky to honor friends and loved ones. “I’m really excited about the event. It sounds like it will be a super fun time, and knowing that I’m supporting a good cause makes it even better,” said junior track and field runner, Mackenzie Anzueto. Also, contributors have the ability to create a team that will show support for a specific loved one who was lost to cancer.

The whole event was organized by Michelle Knuff, the mother of junior Abby Knuff, track and field runner, and sophomore Ben Knuff, baseball player, at Tuscarora. Mrs. Knuff partnered with the Cancer Prevention and Treatment fund to start a Lap-a-Thon in Leesburg in order to get more people in the area to participate. All of the baseball players and track and field runners, as well as others in the community, will be participating in memory of Bob Knuff.

The Lap-a-Thon is expected to be an amazing event filled with food, fun, and an effort to help the cancer cause. The occasion provides an opportunity to recognize loved ones who were lost to cancer as well support those who are suffering from this progressive disease. Register online now at www.stopcancerfund.org, to help save lives and beat cancer.