Girls’ Varsity Lacrosse Defeats Osbourn and Briar Woods

Photo by Lifetouch
Photo by Lifetouch
Photo by Lifetouch

By Madeline Swank and Delaney Casten

Girls’ varsity lacrosse won their first game of the season against Osbourn High School 20-1 on March 16. Senior Vanessa Wilkinson (Tuscarora goalie) had a shutout and the single Osbourn goal was scored by Nia Williams on Tuscarora goalie senior Laura Butcher in the first half. Leading scorers for the Huskies were: Eneli Grabbi, Rachel Giachinta, Layne Hubble, and Abby Oster. This was the first time the girls’ varsity lacrosse team has played the Osbourn eagles.

The girls’ varsity lacrosse huskies are led by head coach Anna Collier and assistant coach Kristan Ash, and Osbourn Eagles are run by head coach Aubrie Sawyer. The Huskies started out the season with a win in their first scrimmage against Dominion High School 12-7.

Last year, the girls’ lacrosse season record was 7 wins and 6 losses.

“I am so proud of the team and all we have accomplished. We are going to keep working hard and hopefully have a very successful season,” said junior Madison Chestnut.

Then, on Thursday, April 9, the Tuscarora girls played the Falcons, gaining a victory of 18-9.

The first half started off slow for the Huskies.  Briar Woods led 4-0 until senior Abby Oster scored 10 minutes into the game.  With 8 minutes left in the half, Oster tied the game 4-4, and soon after, sophomore Rachel Giachinta scored, putting the Huskies in the lead for the first time in the game.  The first half ended 8-6 with Tuscarora gaining a slight lead over Briar Woods.

The Huskies maintained their lead throughout the second half.  Tuscarora pushed up pressuring the Falcons’ defense.  Two Tuscarora defenders, junior Luisa Santos and senior Polly Cheplick, scored along with Oster, Giachinta, junior Madison Chestnut, and senior Eneli Grabbi.

The girls’ varsity lacrosse has a 9-0 record currently, and they will play against Briar Woods again on Monday, April 27th at 7:30 p.m. on the Falcons’ field.