Broadway or Bust

by Katie Stankard

On January 31, at 7 p.m., Tuscarora’s Choral Department hosted the 5th annual Desserts on Broadway, an event that gives choral students an opportunity to perform songs from their favorite musicals, while serving dessert for the audience. After weeks of practice, the event took place in the well-decorated cafeteria, with several tables adorning playbills, and the ceiling featuring sparkling snowflakes.

The event was sold out, and required extra chairs to be pulled out from the storage closet to accommodate the 240 people that were in attendance.

“I think the most enjoyable part of Desserts is being able to practice and perform unique broadway songs with the choirs,” said Mrs. Tarrent, the Choral Director.

Tickets costed $5 for students, and $10 for adults. All guests were given unlimited access to refreshments, as well as dessert during intermission. Each audience member was served a slice of decadent chocolate cake, a couple  of cream puffs, and some fresh raspberries.

Over 60 choir students participated in the event, including junior Kyle Ebetts, who performed as Jekyll from the musical Jekyll and Hyde, while singing “Confrontation.”

“My favorite part of Desserts is always watching everyone’s performances. Practice pays off in the end,” said soloist performer and senior Jenna Knickerbocker.

Most performers were accompanied by pianist John Kim, but there were two acapella performances by the Acafellas and the acapella choir.