The Hills are Alive

By Shalom Montero

Tuscarora High School is proud to present The Sound of Music as its musical this year. It’s being directed by Mr. Daniels, the drama teacher, and Maria, the main character of the musical, is being played by Jordan Stevens. The story plays out as a nun goes and becomes the caregiver of seven kids, teaches them to sing and falls in love with their father. Maria gets scared and chooses to flight instead of fighting for who she loves, but cannot stay away and they end up getting married. As you watch the play you will see the stories unfold and the characters come to life.

The Sound of Music has such dedicated members that it would be no surprise if the performance comes out flawless. The most interesting part of the production is the elementary school kids who have been asked to play a part in The Sound of Music family. Jaqueline Delhoyo, a seven-year-old, plays the youngest Von Trapp child, Gretl. Katherine Dotson, an eleven-year-old, plays Marta, and Brandon Tuthill, another eleven-year-old, plays Kurt. As opening night approaches, it becomes more obvious that these kids are serious and ready to perform for the school and all of the people who come to see them perform. The members of the Sound of Music are just like the Von Trapps; they are a big happy family and the only way to see that is to watch their act and see the story as it happens.

The cast has worked alongside Mr. Daniels, the drama teacher and director of the show, and Ms. Newmiller, the band director, when it comes to performance and music. Cast members include Jordan Stevens, Christopher Allen, Sana Amado, Ashleigh Walker, and Darcy Pierce, to name a few, and the cast is not a small one. Most importantly it’s also about the fact that there are understudies, actors who step in to play a role if the original actor can’t, who need to stay informed as the first day or performances gets closer in the small chance that something happens to the actors.

Mr. Daniels, who has worked with the cast from the beginning, has nothing but good things to say about the work that they have done and the dedication they have shown. Even when the cast faced a small bump on the road after original Captain Von Trapp Clay Smith decided that he could not participate anymore, the cast pulled through and has still managed to keep up with the goal of doing their absolute best while also making sure the audience believes they are the characters. The goal is to have the audience so immersed into the play that they do not sing along but would rather hear the characters sing. All of these things only make up part of the play, but at the end of the day, what the audience talks about is going to decide if and how much of a success the play was.

The students playing children are such a big part of the show, that they hold your attention and keep you interested in the show until there is nothing more to watch. They are so dedicated that it’s hard to think of them as elementary- and high school-aged students, especially when one considers the youngest is seven. As the days get closer, the rehearsals become more intense, adding to the pressure and thrill of letting people see all of the work that the cast members have done.

Stevens, who is playing Maria, is such a talented actress that it’s going to be a thrill watching her on stage and seeing her character unfold as rehearsals continue. From the captain to the butler, The Sound of Music is going to be a thrill to watch, and it’s only going to get better, as the cast is staying after school for rehearsals every day.

There is still time to see these students shine. The tickets are being sold online here and the performances will take place Thursday, May 2 from 7:00-9:30 p.m., Friday, May 3 from 7:00-9:30 p.m., and Saturday, May 4 from 2:30-5:00 p.m. and 7:00-9:30 p.m. Hope to see you there!