Breaking Barriers and Setting Standards: A first-person account of the golf team’s success

By: Daniel Friend

Many sports teams this year didn’t consider Tuscarora  much of a threat in the beginning; in the end they feared us. Going into the annual Curly Licklider Golf tournament, the competition looked rough as the golf team was competing against some of the best teams in the state and was ranked first out of 30 teams.  The general consensus among the team was “let’s do our best and see what happens.”  Much to the team’s surprise, two seniors, two juniors, and two sophomores won the entire tournament among teams predominantly made of seniors. Overjoyed on the way home, two things ran through their minds: how did we win this, and we can’t be flukes.

Had you told me last year that next season the golf team would go undefeated through their season, I would have laughed and walked away. Had you said that they would place in the top 3 for every District mini, I wouldn’t have believed you. Had you said that they would win districts and moved to regionals, I would have cried.

The fact remains that all of these seemingly impossible finishes and records happened. This is my last year on the team and I couldn’t think of a better way to end my high school golf career than by setting the bar higher than ever before and being a part of a program with so much potential. To go from 5th place in 2010 to 4th place last year, and to finish 2nd this year with the loss of our 2 best players (Alec Gard and Phil Corcoran) I still don’t know how we pulled this much off.

Regionals took place on  September 28th at the same course where we showed up 29 teams; can we reach the bar that we set only 2 months ago? Can we compete with the best teams in the state? My opinion is the best teams in the state should ask themselves. Can they compete with us?