Not Pretty

By: Micheal Nerantzis
Well, a win is a win, I guess.  Through the first five games, the boys’ soccer team has won all of their games 1-0.  The team, which had enormously high expectations coming into the year, has not been as dominant as many expected.  The struggles have stemmed partly because the team cannot seem to consistently finish when an opportunity presents itself.  In order for the team to go undefeated and make a run in the state tournament, things have to start clicking fast.
One thing that has lived up to expectations is who would lead the team with goals.  Can you guess who?  Yes, last year’s first team All Dulles District forward Angel Ceron-Garcia has three goals on the season (He also has one assist).  Angel, who had 21 goals last season, has always been a reliable source of offense output for the Huskies.  In last season’s playoff run, he single- handedly guided the team to the state semi-finals.
So far, the offense has just not been clicking like it did last year, whether it’s the extra pass not being made or the open shot that bounces off the crossbar, shots have just not been going in. “We are just missing chances,” says Head Coach Dave Gryder. “Nothing’s holding us back; we’re just getting bad breaks.”  The most obvious example of this was in the final seconds of regulation at the Loudoun County game; the ball was deflected off the crossbar three times without going in, forcing the game to go into overtime.  
The Huskies have a long road ahead of them in their quest to become undefeated, “Briar Woods will be [a] tough game; they gave us a good challenge,” says Coach Gryder.  Chances are by the time the playoffs start, the teams problems should be ironed out.  It is only a matter of time before the offense gets going, and if the defense continues its success, we should be in for a deep run.