In Defense of the King: Why Lebron James made the right decision

By: Brandon Ford
As the biggest supporter of the Miami Thrice, I feel that I need to write an article to support the epitome of greatness in Lebron James, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh. When Lebron first announced he was joining the Miami Heat in a televised one hour special on ESPN, I shared the same reaction that most other sports fans had. Lebron was an egotistical, arrogant jerk who spit on the face of the Cleveland Cavaliers franchise and all of their fans. He hid behind the curtain of all the proceeds to the Boys and Girls club in order to stroke his ego even more. I wished for failure for the newest “Big Three” in the NBA, as I felt that Lebron should have shown loyalty to his hometown and fulfilled his promise to bring a championship to Cleveland. Even a heartfelt song, sung by dozens of Cavalier fans entitled “We Are Lebron”, set to the tune of “We are the World” could not keep the King in Cleveland, which only showed how desperate the Cleveland fans were for a hero and how much they needed Lebron. Fast forward four months and I am 110% on the bandwagon of the Miami Heat. Lebron had every reason to leave Cleveland and go to greener pastures. Cleveland failed to live up to its end of the bargain. They refused to build a championship team around Lebron. When Lebron needed another elite player, instead of bringing in Ron Artest, they brought in Shaq who at this point was many years past his prime. All great players had side-kicks when they won championships. Michael Jordan had Scottie Pippen; Shaq had Kobe Bryant, and Kobe Bryant had Ron Artest this past year. They gave Lebron Delonte West, who went allegedly went behind Lebron’s back and had an affair with his mother. Tell me you wouldn’t’ leave Cleveland if 1) They refused to build a championship team around you and 2) Your side-kick had an affair with your own mother. Then we have the people harping on and on about “loyalty”. Loyalty is only as good as the team you’re on. The reason Jordan never left the Bulls was because the Bulls were competitive every year and they were committed to building a team around him to win multiple championships. Had the Bulls not of brought in Scottie Pippen and had one of the best coaches of all time in Phil Jackson, I have no doubt in my mind that Jordan would of left Chicago to join Patrick Ewing in New York and the Knicks would of become the dynasty of the 90s, not the Bulls. The Cavaliers now face what the Bulls could have faced. They lost the face of their franchise and now the team is made up of average players, which will get them forty wins at best. The Heat will become what the Knicks could have become and that is the next, big dynasty in the NBA with the trio of Lebron James, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh. The haters can hate all you want but deep down, you know that the Heat will win multiple championships. You know Lebron will go down in history as one of the greatest players of all time, regardless if he went “ring chasing”. And just to show how much Lebron cares about winning championships, he took LESS MONEY to join Miami and become an all time great with championship rings whether then become the Dan Marino of Basketball and retire with no rings. Had he stayed in Cleveland, Dan Gilbert and the geniuses running the team would have stuck him with Kwame Brown and Darko Milicic. That’s hardly a championship team and Lebron can only carry a franchise for so long. Call Lebron James “Judas” all you want, but just like in the New Testament, Judas got paid and Lebron will get his rings.