Occupy Chick-Fil-A

Occupy Chick-Fil-A

By Michael Nerantzis
LEESBURG, VA- A Chick-fil-A franchise has finally come to Leesburg.  However, for a certain few, it means much more than their favorite food being closer to home.  To be one of the lucky 100 to earn Chick-fil-A for a year, over 140 people arrived at the restaurant by 5:30 a.m. on the morning of Wednesday, November 31st. And yes, the store didn’t open until Thursday.  Forty people would be turned away as a raffle was conducted to decide who could stay and fight for the opportunity to get 52 free meals.  People came from all over the country. Avid fan John Clark traveled from Pennsylvania for his 82nd Chick-fil-A grand opening. He described his experience, saying, “I have only been turned away twenty times.  These events are special.”
 Suspense was at a premium as even the people who showed up the earliest were not guaranteed a spot.  After the lucky 100 were chosen, there was a mad rush to claim a spot in the parking lot and set up a tent. 
After the tents were set up, the first line check occurred.  The managers lined everyone up to make sure all the contestants were still there, and everyone missing was immediately disqualified from the competition.  During each line check, more and more people dropped out, either because they were caught leaving or they just couldn’t handle being there anymore. 
After each line check, morale was boosted with a free Chick-fil-A meal.  The meals were chicken biscuits for breakfast, chicken strips for lunch, chicken nuggets for a midday snack, and for dinner, contestants were able to go inside and order anything off the menu.  The company used dinner as an opportunity to train the new employees.  They did well, making minimal mistakes, and delivering the food to the customers’ tables.  The food was better than ever, as it was all fresh out of the brand new fryer.
Night came and went; people woke up at 5:00 a.m. to retrieve their coupons.  The last line check was conducted and the contestants walked in a single file line, wearing free Chick-fil-A shirts and hats, into the building to get their gifts.  They were greeted by clapping employees and the famous Chick-fil-A cow.  As the sun rose, the parking lot became filled not with tents and campers, but happy customers enjoying a wholesome company.