Are the shows from our childhood coming back?

By: Lili Samios
LEESBURG, VA- Do you remember kids getting slimed? What about getting pies in the face? Do you remember being able to vote for the cartoons you wanted to watch? Well, Nickelodeon remembers. Nickelodeon recently brought back some of their 90s cartoons and TV shows, including All That, Kenan and Kel, Doug, Rugrats, Hey Arnold, and Are You Afraid of the Dark?
You would be hard pressed to find a high school student who doesn’t remember at least one of those shows from their childhood. It is wonderful to watch shows that you barely remember from when you were little and ones you can’t help but love.
The interns at Nickelodeon were the ones who came up with this idea. They started by researching on the Internet if there would be any interest in watching re-aired 90s TV shows. Millions responded on Facebook saying they would be interested. So, Nickelodeon executives decided to bring back 90s shows and cartoons for a few hours each day, starting at midnight. There is even the opportunity to vote for which episodes you want to watch on Friday nights. On the website you can also look at the lineup of shows for each night and watch full episodes and clips. You can visit the website, 90sareallthat.teennick.com, for more details.
The re-airing of Nickelodeon shows has been an immediate success, popping up all over Twitter. People really seem to be interested in watching all these old shows, but what about high school students. Are they interested? One junior, Jenny Cartwright, said that TV shows from the 90s were “way better than the TV shows that are on now.” Many other students from all different grades share her opinion.     
Even if students are interested in these classic shows, do they even know they are still on TV? When asked if she knew about Nickelodeon re-airing old shows Cartwright said, “No. Maybe I should start watching more TV.” When asked what some of her favorite shows were she listed Angry Beavers, Rugrats, Scooby Doo, and As Told by Ginger. She added, “I would still watch them if they came back on.”
Many students would be interested in watching the shows from their childhood, but many don’t even know that they are still on TV. Nickelodeon plans to air Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, The Adventures of Pete & Pete, All That, The Amanda Show, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Catdog, Clarissa Explains it All, Double Dare, Doug, Hey Arnold!, Kenan & Kel, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Nickelodeon GUTS, The Ren & Stimpy Show, Rocket Power, Rocko’s Modern Life, Rugrats, Salute Your Shorts, and The Secret World Of Alex Mack.
With all these shows airing, everyone should be able to find at least one they remember. Some of these shows and more are available to watch on YouTube. Perhaps if these shows are successful enough on Nickelodeon, then other channels will start bringing back classics from the 90s.